Search This Blog

Monday, July 20, 2009

The Unconditional Love of an Elderly Gentleman: A Touching Story of True Love and Perspective

It was a busy morning, around 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80s arrived to have his stitches removed from his thumb. He mentioned that he was in a hurry because he had an appointment at 9:00 am.

After taking his vital signs, I asked him to have a seat, knowing that it would be over an hour before someone could attend to him. I noticed him glancing at his watch, and since I wasn't occupied with another patient, I decided to assess his wound. Upon examination, I found that it had healed well. So, I spoke to one of the doctors, gathered the necessary supplies to remove his sutures, and dress his wound.

While tending to his wound, I inquired if he had another doctor's appointment that morning, given his sense of urgency.

He replied that he needed to go to the nursing home to have breakfast with his wife. Curious about her well-being, I asked about her health.

He shared with me that she had been residing in the nursing home for a while and was suffering from Alzheimer's Disease.

During our conversation, I asked if she would be upset if he arrived a bit late.

He responded that she no longer recognized him; she hadn't been able to recognize him for the past five years.

I was taken aback and asked him, "And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?"

With a smile, he gently patted my hand and replied, "She may not know me, but I still know who she is." As he left, I had to hold back tears, feeling goosebumps on my arm, and I thought to myself,

"That is the kind of love I desire in my life."

True love is not merely physical or romantic; it is an acceptance of all that has been, all that is, all that will be, and all that will not be.

Among all the jokes and fun that circulate through emails, sometimes there is one that carries an important message. I felt compelled to share this one with you.

The happiest people aren't necessarily the ones who have the best of everything; they are the ones who make the best of everything they have.

I hope you will pass this on to someone you care about. I have already done so. "Life isn't just about surviving the storm but also about dancing in the rain."

If you cannot be a pencil to write happiness in someone's life, at least try to be a kind eraser to erase their sorrows...






No comments:

Post a Comment